Ah. Yep that is weird.

If I understand correctly, GAE is compiling the JSP before it uploads
it to the cloud. That'd mean it could be making incompatible code (the
reason I mentioned before), but it definitely wouldn't be your fault.
Good luck debugging. Two other things to try:

- The page you include might be throwing the exception. The
jsp:include should be OK.

- Try fiddling with different ways to do the include. That'd expose
this as a GAE bug. For instance, try a <% %> block with the normal use
of RequestDispatcher. That should literally include the Java code
versus using whatever GAE converts the jsp:include to.

Cheers,
Jayson