I have a site - http://froi.appspot.com/ - that serves up static pdf
documents without a problem.

I happen to have created a separate folder for them, so the app.yaml
entry looks like this:

- url: /pdf
  static_dir: pdf/

Note that, as with any 'static' files, the app server can serve them
directly, but the Python application code cannot access them.  Maybe
that is how you are getting those '404' errors.

What I need to do, but can't do yet, is process "pdf forms" - have the
app take a blank pdf document and "fill in the blanks" with data
entered by the user.  There are open-source Java libraries to do this,
but I couldn't find any pure-Python code that I could load into the
App Engine.  I started to try a port of a Java library to Python, but
after looking at a lot of Java source, my eyes glazed over.

Are you, or is anyone else, working with pdf forms?

Garrett Davis