Thanks Jeff.

My issue is that throwing an error almost guarantees a crash,
especially since it isn't published anywhere that memcache can even
throw that sort of error.  I would imagine there's a bigger proportion
of people who would be caught offguard by a CapabilityDisabledError
crashing their app than their would people whose apps crash because
they are constantly retrying memcache.write.

So far, the best alternative I've heard is to create an "online"
constant for each service in the API.  Someone in the case you are
describing could then check memcache.online before infinitely retrying
(which they shouldn't be doing anyway).