If you want to use less space you will need to obfuscate your type's names.

I'm using Java/Scala and my type's name is "U" and the parameter is "n" (in
scala I can easily import U as User). This made a 200mb+ difference by
reducing the names to one character. You may want to watch some of the "How
the Datastore works" Google IO videos. All of the indexes include full
parameter names on every entry, so it might be worth investigating if you're
already in the process of repopulating your datastore.