On Dec 15, 6:46 pm, Sripathi Krishnan <sripathi.krish...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Explain me how Mallory can put in a fake/invalid/duplicate/whatever SSL
> certificate when Alice and Bob are communicating.

Mallory can start a C.A. business, like Go Daddy does. It would get
its certificate from Verizon and then crafts its own certificates,
including a fake one that would be accepted by any browser. If Mallory
is smart, he/she teams up with a friend - Mark. Mallory creates the
false certificate for Mark and if Mark is caught, they agree will take
the blame. Of course, some browsers display warning when chains of
certificates are involved, but no error. If Mark/Mallory have access
to the communication between and Alice and Bob, then can substitute
the false certificate.

I am not saying it is easy to achieve, but it is very possible. Sure
TLS/SSL makes Mallory/Mark's life harder, but not impossible.

There is also another possible attack: registering a weak public key
in a certificate.