Please excuse my ignorance, I'm surprised to see the emulator code is
Java. I'd have thought it would be in JavaScript. Is the point that
the emulator is Java that the translator can handle?

I wonder what Integer.valueOf looks like in JavaScript?

Perhaps by explicitly writing Integer.valueOf I am forcing the
creation of additional JavaScript that would otherwise be omitted as
unnecessary?!

(I'm well aware of the "premature optimisation" adage. If by arming
yourself with a little knowledge you can avoid writing code that you
know might harm performance without sacrificing readability or
implementation time, that has to be a good thing.)