Hi Roddy,

for the first option you've described (creating a stream matching all
messages), you basically just need to create a stream with a single stream
rule which checks for the presence of a field that's always there, like
"timestamp" or "message". Please refer to the documentation
at http://docs.graylog.org/en/1.0/pages/streams.html#how-do-i-create-a-stream
for information on how to create streams and stream rules.

The second option, described at
https://github.com/Graylog2/graylog2-web-interface/issues/620#issuecomment-69069365,

is utilizing the RESTful API of Graylog to modify the permissions of a
specific user, so that this user is allowed to access the universal search.
This isn't supported by the Graylog web interface and I wouldn't recommend
doing this, if you don't want to dive too deep into using the RESTful API.
This being said, you can set those permissions for example by using the
interactive API Browser (Swagger) which Graylog offers.

Just go to http://localhost:12900/api-browser/ (use the address of your
Graylog server, not the web interface) in your browser and select the
correct action in the list of actions (they all come with a description).
But as I said, creating a stream which matches all messages is easier and
more importantly supported by the Graylog web interface.

Cheers,
Jochen