Michael,

I haven't tried grpc.closeClient(client) yet, but I did try
client.$channel.close(), which seems to be the same.

To the best of my knowledge CloseWait/FinWait2 means that the client and
server have started termination of the TCP session, but not finalized it.
The impact is that network gear might keep those connections around for
some timeout period. If the rate of creating closewait connections exceeds
the timeout resources start to diminish.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/7c9c366f-1b3b-48d0-9e49-8e11a9afa542%40googlegroups.com.