On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Catherine Olanich Raymond wrote:

> > My other calendar (I keep two) is Tolkien -- his original art, not the
> > Hildebrandt or movie stuff.
>
> Interesting.  Where did you get that one?  I don't remember seeing it.

It has been in every store I've seen. The cover is yellowish background
with the big illustration of Smaug on the hoard of treasure, and the word
"Tolkien" at the top, and "The Hobbit Calendar 2006" at the bottom.

If you look at Amazon's listing, they have the *wrong* image -- there's an
Alan Lee "Lord of the Rings" *2007* calendar shown as the main image
(customer-submitted). Click on the small image, and you'll see the correct
one, but with a green background color; probably a pre-publication image
made before final printing, or maybe it was done in several colors.

Walmart has the same error; maybe the image was sent from the publisher by
mistake. The description also does not match the contents of the one I
bought, even though the ISBN is the same. What a mess.

Ah, here: Correct image, different ISBN:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007208138
Lord knows what you'll get if you try to order any of these :-(

I actually have all of the images from this calendar in a 1979
large-format, slipcovered edition of his paintings, but it's nice to have
them on view on the wall. (OK, I also have most of them in oversize
postcard prints, too, of which I framed seven many years ago, but those
pictures are in a box somewhere. Am I a geek? I bought these when they
were first released, in the late 1970s.) I have always liked Tolkien's
art; it's got a rather spare, primitive (in the artistic meaning of the
term) feel to it -- not what you'd expect from an English intellectual! In
fact, I almost bought the calendar of Hiroshige (Japanese) landscapes
because they harmonized nicely with the Tolkien images. (I keep my
calendars side-by-side on the wall, to show two different months for
reference.)

(I also display Japanese Imari china alongside my medieval art museum
posters in the dining room; the color choices and decorative elements are
very harmonious. A perfect blend, in fact, with the minium-orange and
lapis-blue French provincal print I made into curtains. I am a
period-purist in my historical reproductions, but not in my home decor.)

OBCostume: Ouch, that's hard. There's absolutely no costume content in the
Tolkien images. He showed very few people, and these are very tiny. It's
mostly landscapes.

--Robin