What a lovely design!  Bereth means Queen in Sindarin; which Queen are you
costuming for?  :-)  I have a gown in progress that is a "design that might
have been worn by Thranduil's Queen in the Great Greenwood", and I just
adore all the movie costumes (and many of the examples of similar designs
I've seen!).

I think you'd only need the plastic stuff, well-padded, to smooth out the
lines--the metal might be too heavy for your fabric.

Cheers,
Meli
(also a LOTR costume fan...)