Actually, that's a much better translation!  Thank you!  It's not literal, it
makes much more sense...  Kathy

----- Original Message ----
From: Catherine Olanich Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Historical Costume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 1:22:35 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Pskov Viking costume

On Saturday 12 July 2008 3:37:05 pm Gytha Stonegrinder wrote:
> No, some words don't seem to translate, like their word for fibula, which
> is similar, but different, but there was no particular untranslated word
> that would appear to describe the weave. I used to pieces of Thai silk that
> I had... simple tabby, and a weft-faced patterned silk for the patterned
> panel.  I'll send you a copy of the translation... maybe another set of
> eyes can tell more!

By the way, there's another literal translation of the Russian write up on the
Pskov Archaeological Centre's website done by Lisa Kies--you can compare it
to what you have.  It appears to be a fairly literal translation.

http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PskovTranslation.html

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny."--Edmund Burke