On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:28:30PM +0200, Haim Cohen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does someone know a good source for kernel compilation and installation
> step by step ?

The README file at the top level of the kernel sources is
reasonable. There's also a kernel compilation HOWTO, but it's fairly
out of date, as far as I can recall.

> I am trying to compile my own kernel, (2.4.22 - I did not go too far -
> no source altering, just made few modifications to .config file).
> However, I had few problems - when I made "make modules_insall" it was
> trying to make a module belong to the current kernel.

You need to run 'make modules_install' at the top level of the kernel
source tree you're trying to install. Look at the Makefile - what are
VERSION, SUBLEVEL, PATCHLEVEL and EXTRA_VERSION?

>  ( Thanks god for having this Lilo so I can choose the kernel to boot
> from - otherwise, I prefer not to think about it.... )

Otherwise you would have to boot from a rescue disk (or distribution
CD) and fix your kernel. Not fun, but no big deal :-)
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org