Eli Billauer wrote:

Alon -- you seem to have misunderstood me (or was it me not making myself clear?).

I had no criticism whatsoever on the fact that you were making a round of requests for permissions to use the slides. We have been very sloppy with this issue, maybe because none of us bothered to think in that direction.

Or, if you will read my wine lecture, you will find that it does, in fact, have a license. Not only that, this license is a short no-nonsense one. Actually, my Haifux one doesn't, but my Telux one says you can do whatever you want, so long as you give credit.

I was only surprised to realize, that people that are so aware of the mess that the licenses make in our world, make an issue of what license they are going to give to their lectures -- a license that is so easily bypassed anyhow (by an "inspired rewrite").

However, when we come to lectures I did not invest the time in thinking about what license to release them under, I want to do that with forethought, not hastily. I'm sure you can understand that.

When you write free software, you don't just say "I'll decide on whatever license for it". You actually consider what the software is going to be used for, and then decide on the most appropriate restrictions

Eli

-- Shachar Shemesh Lingnu Open Systems Consulting http://www.lingnu.com/