> FTDI[1] sell a wide variety of USB to serial cables with all manner
> of connectors and voltages, 3.3V, 5V(ttl) and RS232,  bare leaded,
> 3.5mm jacks, 9pinD or bare PCBs to attach your own wires to.

I've come across the FTDI chipset a number of times - including in
packaged USB to serial converters.

They work.

The other chipset I've come across is the Prolific menitioned earlier.

They also work.

My experience of USB to serial on Linux has been really boring. You plug
the thing in, and you get a serial port. Not like Windows users, with all
that messing around with driver installation, the lucky gits...

Vic.