On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> What I want (and maybe I'm being too exacting here) is a program for
> Linux or indeed Windows that will just take a video DVD and dump out
> an avi / mpg / whatever file preferably at enough res that I can
> watch on a big screen TV.

   dvdbackup -F should do the job, if memory serves.

   That'll give you an un-CSSed version of the data on the disk, which
is just one or more MPEG2 file(s), at the original resolution. If you
want encoding from that to MPEG4, Handbrake is good, or avidemux if
you want to edit the file(s) beforehand, or to encode to anything more
exotic.

   Note that MPEG2 containers can, in extremis, be joined together
using the cat command. :)

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
    --- Turning,  pages turning in the widening bath, / The spine ---