Mike Dwerryhouse wrote:

> I have a Dell Mini 10v, which came with Ubuntu 8.04 - Dells own
> version (sort of a Netbook Remix, with some Yahoo branding).
>
> I thought I'd replace it as soon as it arrived, but everything works,
> as far as I've tried it, so it's still there. I think maybe I'll try UNR
> 9.10 which is currently in beta and should be released at the end
> of the month. Boot times are said to have improved significantly.
>
> There are also some unofficial spinoffs to try, such as CrunchBang
> and EasyPeasy.

I tried Eeebuntu on my daughter's eeepc 700 and it was extremely
sluggish, so I switched to Pupeee 4.2 and it is far more usable, pokey
screen and keyboard aside. Pupeee only takes up 100Mb of his disk and it
all oads into RAM, whereas eeebuntu ate a huge chunk of the disk and was
all but unusable is some aspects of operation.

> Michael Dell was recently quoted as saying that nobody likes
> netbooks - they prefer full sized notebooks. I think he's wrong - I
> know several satisfied netbook owners. Maybe Dell would rather
> sell more expensive notebooks.
>
> The model I got is still on sale on Dell's site at £199 for the basic
> model (with an 8Gb SSD).

My son is chuffed to nuts with UNR. We had a happy accident when I tried
the Moblin live CD (which neither of us liked) on his Acer One and it
rendered it unbootable. I tried Pupeee and he didn't like it for
ergonomic reasons, so I fired up UNR and he was thrilled - a much nicer
interface by far than Linpus.

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk