yes.

Please post your configuration file here, plus the output of...
id ftp
ps -ef | grep [v]sftpd
ls -la /home/ftp

Without that information we are just guessing.

Anonymous users should be chrooted into the home directory of the 'ftp'
user.

for more information you can also set these parameters
dual_log_enable=YES
log_ftp_protocol=YES
and restart the service. Then show us your logs.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart. thanks for adding this advice. The anonymous user is already limited to /home/ftp as root. I am guessing the install does that by default. "id ftp" returns:

testermike@eddie:~$ sudo id ftp
uid=111(ftp) gid=65534(nogroup) groups=65534(nogroup)
testermike@eddie:~$

however when i chowned the /home/ftp directory to nogroup the system reported nogroup as invalid. Any how i wont bore you with the logs because I am wondering why I am bothering with anonymous at all. The FTP server will be hanging off a church network and I am thinking it only makes sense to allow access to known users anyway.

would you all agree?

TIA
Mike