Thanks to everybody who replied to my post back in June for advice on computing for my 83-year old mum, who has Alzheimer's. I've had a Dreamplug with a 10-inch USB touchscreen monitor up and running at her house for the past couple of weeks, and it's worked really well.

The Dreamplug runs Debian Squeeze, vino-server, and an SSH daemon. I've been able to launch vncviewer and start video chats (Ekiga), show her photos, and play music. After much searching, I've found a music player that plays nicely with cron (moc), so I can play random selections of music for her during the day, when I'm at work.

I've still got to tighten up security - haven't managed to get encrypted vnc working properly, although it's secured with a password. I also want to install my public keys on mum's computer, and disable password logon.

I've learnt a heck of a lot about Linux through doing this, and it's made a big difference to mum.
--
Kevin Safford