> It is true.

It isn't.

> If you use a 240V intermediate stage

So you don't use a 240V intermediate stage.

You have a single conversion from Vin to Vout. That only gets complicated
if you haev to cope with variable conditions, such that you can't say for
all situations whether Vin > Vout or Vin < Vout; that might involve a
two-stage conversion.

> it unlikely to be better than 90% efficient

Got any stats for that? Or is that a made-up number?

> Add to that that the best efficiency will
> be at a high load and in the real world you may well be nearer 60%.

LTC's datasheets say something rather different. But I'm sure your data is
more accurate than the device manufacturers.

> One single conversion from 12V to wanted voltage will almost certainly
> be more efficient.

...Which is exactly what I am proposing. But that does not make the system
more efficient running from 12V compared to running the same converter
from 240V.

Vic.