On 20 Aug 2014, at 10:46, Jack Knight <j...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 20 August 2014 10:35, Gordon Scott <gor...@gscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Look on the bright side. This always looked to me like FUD, and if Microsoft
> have to move their European Headquarters to Munich to get them out of using a
> Linux IT infrastructure, that sounds to me like Linux in Munich was causing
> MS some real heartache.  I suspect MS are paying a lot of money for this
> move. ā€‹
> ā€‹
> Undoubtedly, it smacks of very strong medicine for what must be a huge thorn
> in their side - the great marketing machine has yet again clunked into action
> to spread FUD.
>
> Oh, and if there have been user complaints about the Linux desktop, just wait
> until they get Windows 8!ā€‹ We recently had a migration to this in the office
> by our desktop support department - and a significant number of people had to
> be *forced* to accept the so called 'upgrade' and it generally caused chaos
> and confusion, not to mention loss of productivity. Fortunately I work for a
> team/department which is immune to such games, we can use whatever we deem
> fit for purpose as long as we self support.

Its interesting that most people are not citing complaints about linux. The
actual complaints are about applications and specifically office productivity
and collaboration.

document exchange with companies.
synchronised mobile email
synchronised calendar

Now I know iā€™m going to start a war, but its also my opinion that the open
source developers looking after these apps a failing to develop well integrated
apps and app services, and are still chewing away at uninteresting features
such as mail merges etc.