All,

I'm not sure what the issue is here, but I wanted to know if there was an easy
explanation for this.

We've been doing some load testing of HAProxy and have found the following:

HAProxy (both 1.4.15 and 1.4.19 builds) running under Gentoo in a 2 vCPU VM
(Vsphere 4.x) running on a box with a Xeon x5675 (3.06 GHz current gen
Westmere) maxes out (starts throwing 50x errors) at around a session rate of
3500.

However, copies of the same binaries pointed at the same backend servers on a
Gentoo box (bare metal) with 2x E5405 (2.00GHz - Q4,2007 launch) top out at a
session rate of around 8000 - at which point the back end servers start to fall
over. And that HAProxy machine is doing LOTS of other things at the same time.

Here's the reason for the query: We're not sure why, but the bare metal box
seems to be balancing the load better across cpu's. (We're using the same
config file, so nbproc is set to 1 for both setups). Most of our HAProxy setups
aren't really getting hit hard enough to tell if multiple CPU's are being used
or not as their session rates typically stay around 300-400.

We know it's not virtualization in general because we have a virtual machine in
the production version of this system that achieves higher numbers on lesser
hardware.

Just wondering if there is somewhere we should start looking.

TIA.
matt