On 4/4/13 1:42 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
I don't remember when I was last in a store. I get mixed messages from
their sales fliers. They're definitely mixing in some Arduinos and other
hardware hacking goodies that have been absent in recent years, but they
still largely come across and a wannabe cell phone shop (is that tactic
working for them?).

It's funny that despite the resurgence in electronics hobby products, we
haven't seen the return of some of the niche retailers like Unitech (an
oddball surplus electronics shop in Cambridge that evolved into a super
cheap supplier of floppy disks) and Future/Active (still a wholesaler).
I've been to three different RSs in the past few months, and all three had Arduino equipment in them, which is nice to get something immediately. YDI has a much larger selection of support equipment (and I'll probably make one run a year there).
I guess the other half of the picture is the wide availability of
products online, which undercuts smalltime retailers.

DX.com is great if you don't need it in the next few weeks. And don't have a problem burning a new firmware onto their Nano clone.

-Mark