Or as my wife would say opportunities :) Please be gentle. Not trying
to start a flame war. Just trying to draw out practial matters.

Facts:
- GNU Classpath is *NOT* GPL. It uses GPL+Exception
  (http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html)
- FSF owns copyright for GNU Classpath
  (example see
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/classpath/classpath/java/lang/Object.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain)
- The Exception clause was a joint effort with RedHat
  (as explained by Anthony -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200505.mbox/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED])
- Any ASF contributor if they want to make changes to CLASSPATH, will
  have to adhere to the clean room clauses
  (http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/faq/faq.html#faq3_2)
- For any contributions to classpath there has to be a copyright
  assignment to the FSF. ASF does not ask for copyright assignment by default
  as explained by Sam in a previous thread.
  (http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/faq/faq.html#faq3_4)

(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200505.mbox/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED])

Issues and possible solutions:
- Any source code or Jars under GPL cannot be checked into ASF CVS.
  One possibility is for FSF folks to publish maven snapshots of
  the daily build.
- Need to check if the classpath jars can be part of a install package
  from ASF Legal folks. Problem is we don't want users do download two
  things from two places to get a working JDK/JRE. One solution is the
  shared classpath instance model where many VM's share the same
  classpath jar. this may reduce the problem, but not an ideal solution.
- Classpath was once LGPL, but ASF/FSF still needs to resolve issues
  around it, so even that may not be open for the short-term.
- It may or may not be very difficult to add/change the Exception clause
  to make it easier to develop/ship/use code. Need ASF legal and FSF
  legal folks to chime in. Ideally if we change the exception clause to
  convey the information in say the MIT license
  (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php). That would make
  it REAL easy. But i know it's probably too much to ask for :) Note
  that the two problems above will vanish if it happens.

Question from the point of view of a potential user of Harmony:
- Same question i asked for Geronimo...A specific product in my company
needs Java's, currently we ship JVM from [SUNW/IBM] by default. This
product is NOT positioned as a JVM/JRE engine and NO claims of Java
compliance is made. We want use Harmony+Classpath as the default JVM for
our product. We will comply with ALL requirements of ASL 2.0 under
which Harmony is licensed. We DON'T want to talk to SUN/ASF/FSF or pay
them any money (we don't pay SUNW now!!), we DON'T want to run the TCK's
before we ship the product. We just want to use Harmony as-is BUT we'd
like to issue some patches to our customers if necessary for product
support. What are my additional obligations because of Classpath
which is the default library in Harmony? (ones that are not applicable
to  other ASF projects)

Thanks,
dims