>> I'd like to take off on a tangent here.  At one point I had the naive
>> idea that I could make Jikes RVM able to play nicely with GCJ.  What
>> really quashed the idea was the issue of garbage collection -- GCC
>> is not
>> designed to pass type information down to the lower levels of the
>> compiler, so GCJ doesn't build a "gc map", which you need in order
[snip]
>> Further, I've heard (have not looked at it myself, nor am I
>> competent to
>> do so) that it would be an enormous amount of work to retrofit GCC so
>> that GCJ could build GC maps.
>
> Would there be a general facility that would be useful for other
> languages?   Would that help amortize the work?  Do you know others
> that are interested?

After my work with MMTk and gcj I thought about doing this (or suckering
some unsuspecting honours student into doing it :), but there is a second
issue: CNI.  CNI provides seamless integration between C++ and Java, and
any object in the heap may simultaneously be a C++ object and a Java
object.  While there is a subset of C++ that is amenable to accurate GC, I
think this issue may be a showstopper.

Robin