>>> I'm pretty sure we want a framework in C/C++, whatever components
>>> are developed in.

>> Umm.  Why?

Ben> So it can run everywhere.

FWIW, writing a VM in java doesn't make this harder per se.
In fact, in a way it is easier as you are already writing a compiler,
so you don't need another one for your target.

The way JikesRVM works, as I understand it, is that you bootstrap it
on some other VM.  This makes an image, which is just plain old
executable code, which is the actual VM.  Then you can run your java
programs using this image.

Once you have the infrastructure for this, setting it up for
cross-building (cross architecture or cross OS) is not theoretically
hard, merely a SMOP.

It looks like JikesRVM already has some support for this:

http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/userguide/HTML/userguide_8.html

Tom