JamVM sounds very interesting. A fast lightweight interpreter has at least two attractions:

a) portability (this is true regardless of the implementation language, the point is that an interpreter does not require a new compiler backend to be written for each architecture)
b) compactness

If the lightweight interpreter were a pluggable component, or if we could use JamVM as a prototype for a pluggable lightweight interpreter, I think that would be a real asset.

Rob, what do you think? Could the JamVM interpreter be extracted as a pluggable module? Could the JamVM interpreter be used as a protype for a new componentized implementation (will your insights and lessons translate well into a new implementation, or are they mostly JamVM-specific?)

Is the GC exact or conservative?

In other words, how can Harmony make the most of JamVM's most valuable ideas?

Cheers,

--Steve