From: Chris Nauroth [mailto:cnaur...@hortonworks.com]
Sent: 17 July 2013 05:13
To: hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: common-...@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: mvn eclipse:eclipse failure on windows

maven-surefire-plugin configuration that sets the PATH environment variable to
include the build location of the dll:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/trunk/hadoop-project/pom.xml#L894

(On Windows, the shared library path is controlled with PATH instead of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux.)

This configuration has been working fine in all of the dev environments I've
seen, but I'm wondering if something different is happening in your
environment.  Does your hadoop.dll show up in
hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/target/bin?  Is there anything else that
looks unique in your environment?

Also, another potential gotcha is the Windows max path length limitation of
260 characters.  Deeply nested project structures like Hadoop can cause very
long paths for the built artifacts, and you might not be able to load the files
if the full path exceeds 260 characters.  The workaround for now is to keep the
codebase in a very short root folder.  (I use C:\hdc .)

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/