On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 01:21, Mike <mikel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that the documentation recommends using Solr for search:
> http://docs.heroku.com/full-text-search
>
> However, Postgres has a built-in full text search capability that is
> not discussed at all.  I was wondering what the rationale is for the
> recommendation of Solr?
>
> Would the performance offered by a Solr approach be significantly
> greater or more scalable than using Postgres' built-in search?

I'm not specifically familiar with Postgres's fulltext search, but
fulltext search is generally not the core competency of relational
databases. I've had experience using MySQL's, and it's deal-breakingly
slow and feature-poor. Solr is built for the purpose, highly scalable,
and has a lot of cool features both in and outside the fulltext search
realm. Sphinx is another good option - has some advantages over Solr,
as well as some pretty significant limitations - but as far as I know
Heroku doesn't support it.

BTW (shameless plug time), you might consider an alternative to
acts_as_solr if you do go with Solr generally:

http://outoftime.github.com/sunspot

Mat