发件人: John Kiernan
发送时间: 2008-12-12  03:16:32
收件人: Neil Fournier
抄送: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
主题: Re: [Histonet] perfusion question

The wash-out solution should have pH and osmotic pressure close to those of the
animal's extracellular fluid, to avoid shrinkage or swelling of cells, collagen
fibres etc. This can be achieved with simple saline (0.9% NaCl). A buffer
prevents acidification of the extracellular fluid by products released from
dying cells. Calcium ions (not compatible with phosphate buffers) enhance the
preservation of phospholipids of cell membranes, myelin etc. Potassium ions are
included in "physiological" saline solutions such as Ringer-Locke in which
tissues and small organs can be kept alive, sometimes for several hours. I
don't know of any study of effects of potassium on fixation, but probably
someone has looked into it.
The formaldehyde should also be dissolved in an isosmotic buffer because the
chemical events of fixation occur slowly (several hours). Brain tissue still
responds to changes in ambient osmotic pressure after several hours in neutral
buffered formaldehyde. In glutaraldehyde, however, the cells are stabilized in
20 minutes. See: Paljarvi L, Garcia JH, Kalimo H (1979) The efficiency of
aldehyde fixation for electron microscopy: stabilization of rat brain tissue to
withstand osmotic stress. Histochem. J. 11: 267-276. This paper has also has
references to several other studies.
Traditional fixative mixtures are mostly acidic and rapidly acting, stabilizing
the structure of the tissue (for light microscopy) before the development of
adverse effects of low pH or osmotic pressure. The subject was also reviewed by
J.R.Baker in his book Principles of Biological Microtechnique (1958), pp.75-86.
John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
= = =