The hospital where I work just opened a new lab. The histology department is
now combined with cytology and is made up of me, a second histotech, a cytology
prep tech, and our cytotech supervisor. We didn't have a hood in the old lab,
so we did our manual special stains on a workbench with weak, overhanging vents
that looked like lamps. The one hood in our new department completely belongs
to the cytology prep tech. She has her centrifuge and a lot of other equipment
in it, and my supervisor does not want me or the other histotech to share it.
Some of our workbenches have small vents built into the walls, but when I do my
specials there, I still smell chemicals. Do most histotechs today use hoods to
do manual special stains or am I being too wishful?