If the G in 4F1G is glutaraldehyde the glut. will probably kill off the immunoreactivity (depending on the antigen in question). How long are the embryos being fixed? Remember, formalin works slowly so 5-7 days may be necessary.-
I would try a formalin + alcohol mix or formalin-alcohol-acetic acid.
Also, yolk is hard to fix well so don't use that as a criterion for good fixation.

Geoff

Cheryl Crowder wrote:
Hello - A researcher is fixing 7-21 day old chicken embryos in 10% NBF. After processing they are mushy and almost amorphous. Has anyone any suggestions for a fixative that will give the embryos more form and still have the tissue capable of doing IHC? I had thought of 4F1G. Any help is really appreciated.
Cheryl
Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Chief Technologist
Anatomic Pathology