I have worked in several laboratories, both in Canada and England. I trained there and was taught by technologists, not pathologists, to check the staining of all my slides, which I have always done. I finds that even when asked, most pathologists do not return poorly stained slides, yet how can we know of deficiencies if they do not?

I worked in several histology labs over my career and slides were checked in all but two. I was able to introduce it in one of those, but not in the other due to technologist resistance (we've always done it that way). It was the technologists who resisted it.

I don't see why Dr. Richmond needs to apologise. He merely drew attention to his work experiences in numerous histology labs and decried what is, in his experience, a common practice. In other words, he spoke about real, actual events. Why does being truthful require an apology? Are our egos so fragile that we can't take valid criticism as a profession nor as individuals? He certainly did not accuse those who got upset of failing to check slides, so why take umbrage? Noting and decrying poor histological practices should be a concern for everyone. Surely we are concerned about service to patients not about our egos.

Bryan Llewellyn