We do three levels on all diagnostic biopsies. Liver and Kidney also get
upfront special stains, as do gastric biopsies (h pylori)
We did cut down on extra unstained slides since we were discarding most of
them. As far as stopping levels, my pathologist thinks it goes against standard
of care. As for prostate biopsies, they are so small any more, that we are
thinking o cutting 4 slides staining 1and 4 for H&E and holding 2 and 3 for
possible IHC. We
are finding that when we have to go back there is minimal tumor for IHC
demonstration.

Susan T. Paturzo
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital