Good day colleagues,

Does anyone have any information on phospho antibodies and fixation?  Is there
any reason to NOT fix specimens in formalin vs say, 70% EtOH? (and then process
them through formalin later?)  I can't seem to find any information on whether
or not fixation in formalin does something strange to a phosphorylated protien
and makes it a less accessible antigen.  Also, on that same note, does
retreival do anything to it?

I am assuming that these antibodies go through the same testing for cross
reactivity, etc (depending on the vendor) and are reliable when used properly
(like any other antibody).  I don't, however, know if there is enough of a
difference in the epitope (the fact that it is phosphorylated) that would make
it more susceptible to some strange cross linking with formalin (especiallly
with phosphate buffered formalin).

Any help with this topic would be greatly appreciated as I am uneducated in
this area.

Thanks,

Ashley Troutman BS, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Vanderbilt University Histopathology