From: Joel Reichensperger <jreichensper...@siumed.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen tissue question
To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Thursday, June 23, 2011, 10:12 AM

We have a new doctor in our lab who swears that all frozen tissue must be fixed
in formalin with a subsequent sucrose treatment before freezing in OCT because
not fixing it will cause the structures to be distorted and you can't get good
antibody attachment. In my previous experience, we have done this with tissue
that came from an animal that was perfused with formalin before the tissue was
removed. However, the majority of my previous frozen specimens were flash
frozen in OCT and fixed after sectioning. It is also my understanding that
fixation in formalin can cause poor antibody detection because of cross-linking
caused by the formalin. I would like to hear some other opinions on this
please. The particular specimen we will be working with is skin.

Thanks in advance,
Joel Reichensperger

-- Joel Reichensperger
Researcher II