Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a Jones/PAMS stain that is
not working properly. This is something we don't do often.  The last time we
did it was a year and a half ago, and it seemed fine at the time.
We have tried 3 or 4 protocols, including an ammoniacal silver, and it is still
not working properly.  In some protocols, our red cells are staining but the
capillaries in the glomeruli do not seem to be picking up the silver.  In other
protocols, there are nuclei of some cells that should not be staining that are,
but again, the capillaries are not.  We are working on mouse tissue that is
fixed in NBF.  The strange thing is the stain seems to be working well on
Bouins and Telly's fixed tissue.  I even tried mordanting in Bouins!  We have
tried multiple kidneys with the same results.  We are on new bottles of silver
and periodic acid, although our methenamine has been around a while.  Any
Thanks!
Liz