Well said Will.

   -------- Original Message --------
   Subject: Re: [Histonet] Unregistered techs
   From: William Chappell <<= a
   href="mailto:cha...@yahoo.com";>cha...@yahoo.com>
   Date: Thu, M= ay 24, 2012 4:02 pm
   To: Davide Costanzo <[1]pathloc...@gmail.com>
   Cc: histonet <[2]histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
   I  have  respected  Jay's  input  in  the  past, but I too must say s
omething.
   Without realizing it, and by stating his opinion in a horr= ibly crass
   way,  Jay  has touched upon an important truism. There are two typ= es
   of  histologists, those that have a job that pays the bills, and those
   wh=  o have a career in which they thrive. Neither are better than the
   other,  bo=  th  are  needed. I suspect, however, that the majority of
   Histonetters  --  esp=  ecially  avid  contributors  are in the latter
   group. I know I am.
   Hist=  otechs  who  approach  histology as a job, go into work, embed,
   cut,  stain  and=  go home. they are excellent techs, but are just not
   committed  to  expanding=  the  field  or doing more than is needed to
   provide  the  pathologist  with a p= erfect slide. Jay refers to these
   people  as  no better than trained monkeys.= That is a horrible insult
   with a small (very small) grain of truth. One da= y those histologists
   will  be  replaced  by  a  mechanical/robotic  process. The = march of
   progress is unstoppable.
   The  career  histologist  has  a  much  = longer life span however. We
   analyze  and  troubleshoot  problems.  We  understa= nd or endeavor to
   learn  the organic chemistry of stains. We know EXACTLY ho= w a Rabbit
   Monoclonal  antibody  is  made.  We  know more about the practice of
histology  than  ANY pathologist. We invent and develop antibodies and
   specia=  l  stains.  And  we conceptualize and perfect the instruments
   that will replac= e the first group in the future.
   Jay,  that  is  why  so  many  are offend= ed. We don't do this simply
   because  it  is  a good paycheck. We are histologi= sts because we are
   professionals  who  choose  this  career.  You may be going t= o a job
   cutting  slides  (which is great and necessary), but we are enjoying    our
life.
   Will Chappell, HTL (ASCP), QIHC, MBA
   and histologist by= choice, not accident
   On May 24, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Davide Costan= zo wrote:
   >  I'm  sorry - I cannot let this rest. The comment: "we = are just as
   much
   > needed as pathologists, blah, blah,
   >  blah..= ....." is so upsetting I cannot sit back and listen to that
   without
   >= saying something!
   >
   >  Everyone,  regardless  of their lot in li= fe, is a very worthwhile
   part of the
   >  whole.  Let  me  ask  you a questi= on, since you highly undervalue
   humans that
   > are not MD's - let's sa= y that you are a patient at Hospital X, and
   you go
   >  in  to have your = toenail removed. Who plays a more important role
   in your
   >  survival  -=  the Podiatrist or the hospital janitor? I would argue
   that the
   >  jan=  itor is more crucial in this instance, for if he/she fails to
   clean up
   &=  gt;  the MRSA from the last patient you could conceivably die. The
   doctor so= lved
   > your fungal problem, but the janitor prevented you from gettin= g a
   >  potentially  life-threatening  infection.  Think before you speak    like
that -
   >  everyone  involved in your care is critical - and, yes, = sometimes
   the doctor
   > is not the most important person when it comes= to keeping you alive
   and
   > well!
   >

   >    >
   >    On    Thu,    May   24,   2012   at   2:01   PM,   Jay   Lundgren
   <[3]jaylundg...@gmail.com> wrote:
   &= gt;
   >> Scott Lyons [4]slnj07@yah= oo.com
   >>
   >>  Give  me  a  break,  HTs and HTLs do not ma= ke diagnoses or treat
   patients. I
   >>  am  a  registered  HT  and  a Flor= ida licensed HTL with 19 years
   experience,
   >>  I've  done  it  all  in = the lab. I believe the certification and
   licensure of
   >>  techs  is  = a scam to bleed more money from people. Honestly, you
   can train a
   >&g=  t;  monkey to do our job. And I don't want to hear from everyone
   saying it's= an
   >> art form, we are just as much needed as pathologists, blah,= blah,
   >>  blah.......  I  work where they are hiring people from a m= asters
   degree
   >>  program  for  histology  with  certification, THEY KN= OW NOTHING.
   Experience it
   >> where it's at, whether certified or n= ot, get off your high horse.
   >>

   >= >

   &= gt;>