From: arjun ruhella <ruhella.ar...@gmail.com>
To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:39 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Is specimen too cold for cryosectioning?

Dear all,

I have heard a little trick in cryosectioning where, if the specimen is too
cold, one put thumb on the specimen and then cut immediately. I have a question
related to this.

Q1 = My cryostat temperature cannot be increased above -20C (a problem needs to
be fixed). I usually tend to cut my specimen at ~-18C. As i was bound to cut
the specimen at -20C, i was experiencing chattering or splintering in the
sections. I though this was because the specimen was very cold. When i rub my
thumb on the specimen for a while, i was able to get 2-4 decent sections, but
the chattering started again. Is this a CONCRETE evidence that the chattering
is due to specimen being cold?

Q2 = Does sectioning difficulty can happen with as small difference as -2C
(-18C vs -20C)? I heard ppl saying that -2C will not make any difference in
sectioning.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Sincere thank you!
AR