Dear Mary Ann,

I'll (hopefully) beat Gayle Callis to the punch on red chromogen/fluorescent
detection. According to her experience, you need to slightly understain the red
chromogen to achieve the best fluorescent signal. I don't know if it has to do
with saturation but too much red deposition = less fluorescence.

We also use a Texas Red excitation filter on our scope. Texas Red is a
fluorophore used for labeling in IHC (among other things), and the filter is
one that will excite at that wavelength. It also excites the Alexa594
fluorophore which is what we use extensively.

Teri Johnson
Manager, Histology
Genomics Institute for
Novartis Research