Greeting everyone in Histo-land,
I'm still working on a competency assessment procedure but I have a question
that needs clarification.  According to CAP, "A laboratory must evaluate and
document the competency of all testing personnel for each test system.  A TEST
SYSTEM is the process that includes pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic
steps used to produce a test result or set of results.  A test system may be
manual, automated, multi-channel or single use and can include reagents,
components, equipment or instruments required to produce results".  My question
is, what histology tasks or steps are considered pre-analytic, analytic, and
post-analytic?  In all the resources I've found, there seems to be a difference
of opinion as to what is considered pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic
specific to histology tasks which is not really considered "resulting" in
histology. Also, there should be a different TEST SYSTEM for what pathologists
do (resulting slides) and what PA's do (gross description of tissue), so what
tasks are considered pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic specific for
their jobs? A person could go crazy with all this and to ask an inspector, they
aren't really sure either.  And different inspectors will give you different
answers.Any takers out there?
Elaine Hoffman