How do you handle counting days to preliminary autopsy dx (PAD) when doing
cases in which the brain autopsy results are the main component of disease? If
we accession at the time of autopsy and then let the brain fix for several days
before cutting in, then the PAD is many days past the 3-day reporting
requirement.

On standard "body" cases we report PAD the same day and final within two weeks.
With neuropathology cases it can be up to 10 days for a PAD.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center