I was taught it best to use separate controls on a second slide. But in
practice, the only cases where a floater appeared it was obvious. In my own lab
14 year experience it has not happened.

However, about 10 years ago we started an experiment and switched to 2 AFB
slides with pos and neg controls on one slide only but with patients samples on
both slides. Looking at 2 slides sometimes makes me more confident.

I have not yet competed the study but anecdotally I do not recall or have never
seen an AFB floater using this practice. We  deliberately keep both our control
blocks quite small maybe 1-2 mm.

Steve
Steve A. McClain, MD
631-361-4000  Cell 631-926-3655