>From your description, I'm not sure why you want to control them with a
single bonecontroller.  It seems that you should just set up two
bonecontrollers, one that controls the Z axis (or whatever it really is) of
the neck bone, and one that controls the X axis (or whatever) of the neck
bone.

$controller 0 "Bip01Neck" ZR -45 45
$controller 1 "Bip01Neck" YR -30 30

If you really want a single controller to modify both at the same time, you
can do that as well, though they'll move as a single unit.

$controller 0 "Bip01Neck" ZR -45 45
$controller 0 "Bip01Neck" YR -30 30

<input channel> can be 0 through 3, or "mouth".  <type> can be X, Y, Z, XR,
YR, or ZR.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Immarco [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 12:16 PM
To: HLCODERS
Subject: [hlcoders] Dual usage of a bone controller

Hello,

I'm talking with a graphics artist that has made many terrifice 3D models
that support skeletal animation.  Although I have written extensive code in
the past with the HL SDK, that used the up to 4 bone controllers that a HL
model supports, I'm a graphics and animation ignoramus so I need help asking
the graphics artist the right questions, or giving him the correct
information.

The character the graphics artist is designing will have a neck bone that
allows the characters head to both:

1) Rotate left to right like the standard HL human model does
2) But also move the head up and down along the Y axis.  Think of someone
nodding their head "yes".

What confuses me is, how would that bone be controllable from the HL SDK?
All the bone controllers I've seen map the movement of a single bone to a
single "operation", not more than one "operation".  Do I need to have the
artist do something different in the model's skeletal structure?  Or is this
simply a simple 3D model bone labeling trick or, a DLL coding trick that I
am unaware of?  If it is the latter please point me to an example(s) so I
can know how to code it.

Hopefully this makes sense and someone can help me communicate the proper
language to the graphics artist.

thx