botman wrote:
This was brought up a while ago, but nothing much was said on the topic.

Has

anyone gotten any deeper with the block problem for trains?

Trains have a limit of 6 or something (I haven't a clue the exact number)
of

players before it stops functioning and gibs someone or such. This is a
real

problem for multiplayer games that use trains for primary transportation..
And in large groups, sheesh it gets ugly.

Wondering if this might be fixed in the next patch as well or something.
Though my guess is no.

I don't think there is a limit on the number of entities.  I think it
depends on where they are physically (i.e. 6 may work fine as long as no one
is blocking anyone else, 2 may cause the second person to gib if they are
blocking the first person).

The problem with trains is that the moving brush tries to push players out
of the way so that it can move forward.  If a player is blocked from moving
(by another player?), the player will get gibbed.  What you really want to
do is implement a function similar to what Monsters have for pushing others
out of the way.  See the DispatchBlocked() function that monsters use to
tell each other they want someone to get out of the way.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that, what we ended up doing was
possibly similar, we just make the players push each other away a
certain distance..fun tweaking that code, we initially put a velocity of
like 600 on the players, and they went flying out of the helicopter
(CFuncTracktrain) :).

I guess the reason the players touching blocks the train is that the
brush is sliding, exerting a 'friction' on the player's feet, which is
fine until they touch, then there's too much friction, calling the
blocked() function for the tracktrain.. something like that anyway.

This is more of an SDK issue than it is an engine issue, therefore, an
engine patch won't do anything to fix this.

Jeffrey "botman" Broome