At 09:26 PM 1/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
Well, explain it only if it can't give enough info about making hack for HL
Sorry, one more point. If we as programmers don't understand what hackers
do, how can we write secure code? :D. We should never be afraid to
understand how they work, such information doesn't necessarily lead to
cheats/hacks, it allows us collectively to eliminate them from our code.
It's certain they're (the black hats) educating each other, it's only fair
that we try to educate ourselves being the white hats we are (personally,
I'm more of a redhat) :).

Even with a cursory understanding that I'm currently getting for these
issues (pick up 'Writing Secure Code' from Microsoft Press -- it's not bad,
and the issues they talk about aren't totally Windows specific), i'm at
least taking a step that too many programmers tend to put off until later
-- thinking about writing the code securely from the get go. You don't have
to be a genius to not make a buffer overflow, you just have to think about
them when dealing with user input, and have a few 'standard tricks' in your
arsenal to avoid them. ;).

/me gets off soapbox

Pat 'sluggo' Magnan
Tour of Duty mod