Yes I suspect people are shitting themselves as I type this. But only about
the global economy.

From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Fletcher Dunn
Sent: Friday, 9 December 2011 7:00 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
(hlds_li...@list.valvesoftware.com); Half-Life dedicated Win32 server
Subject: [hlds] Let's be honest

We all know that some server operators run mods specifically designed to
falsify information sent to the Valve backend and to their players.  These
mods inaccurately report the player count and whether players are human or
not.  They conceal that significant modifications to gameplay have been
made.  This is detrimental to players' experience.

Perhaps some server operators would actually prefer to not run these mods,
but feel that it is necessary to compete and maintain their community.  For
this reason, Valve has made the decision not to take any action against any
server operators at this time.

We will be directly contacting some of the "institutional offenders" who are
using these mods on multiple servers.  However, whether we contact you
directly or not, this email serves as warning to all server operators that
we do have the ability to detect this class of behavior, and, going forward,
we are going to be more aggressive at policing it.  If we determine that you
are modifying the network stream or otherwise circumventing basic security
measures, we will take the actions needed to maintain a positive environment
for our players.

To be perfectly clear, here are some examples of the modifications and
behaviours which we consider especially harmful to our community:

.         Forging or modifying network communications used to describe
server properties to the backend or directly to clients.

.         Concealing the fact that bots are bots, and making them appear as
human players.  (Running bots is OK, as long as no modifications are made
that make it difficult for players to identify which players are bots and
which are humans.)

.         Interfering with the mechanisms that advertise modifications to
gameplay rules in the server browser.  (For example, nocrits, gravity,
respawn times, etc.)  Experimenting with gameplay modifications is
encouraged, but any mechanisms in the engine designed to alert players to
those modifications must be allowed to function.

.         Listing the same game server multiple times in the master server.

Thank you,

Fletcher Dunn