Hello,

I’m not going to argue about which routing protocol to use (Juliusz remark
about GRE tunnel was interesting thought), but…

See how hard it is ?

Home routers vendors will have a bad enough time putting a single routing
protocols in their routers,
we can’t ask them to put two of them. Nevertheless, their is so much ideology
beside that discussion…
We are going to choose one, and what if we change our minds in 10 or 20 years ?
What if a new protocol
is created that fits way better homenet requirements ? Once vendors are cool
with one routing protocol,
we might want to allow home networks to move to a new one, or even the next
version of the previous one.

I think it doesn’t cost much (really) to allow flexibility.
- Someone that administrate all the routers in the home should be able to use a
different routing protocol than the one that homenet chose.
- In the future, we should be able to move from one routing protocol to another
without backward compatibility (And that might mean that transition routers
will have to support two routing protocols until it becomes useless to support
the previous one).

So even if most will agree that supporting multiple routing protocol is a
madness in the general case.
It’s not that hard to ’support it’ while requiring one single routing protocol
as mandatory in home networks.
And whenever we want to move to another protocol, maybe in 20 years, it will
allow transitioning softly.

Have a nice day,

Pierre