Francis,

In my experience, it's usually before the big solo I have to count the bars rest. No names (and you are an honourable exception) but I have several times had good first horns turn to me and say, "Where are we?"

I take my job seriously enough not to resort to facetious replies like, "The Festival Hall", or,"The Albert Hall" or even,"The Philharmonie".

Apropos, I used to find myself as a school boy nodding off on the bus home after a hard day, and jerk awake counting,"Seventy one, two, three; seventy two, two, three etc....." What a sad childhood.

Ralph

Ralph R. hall, brasshausmusic.com