Hi Blake,sorry, while struggling to find the emails you mentioned I forgot to
answer you (I guess I was not receiving because I had selected digests).
As I answered before to Charlotte:
Yes, that area in
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id&#map=19/8.83837/-12.04526
actually is of manioc (cassava). Both green(new plants or grass coverture in
the holes, it's not ) and brown(picked or dry remains) rounded shapes of
1-1,5m, as I've wrote in the post.I would map it together since it's one same
field, only that plantations are managed seasonally from side to side in the
same uncovered field.Beside it there are planted palm orchard (it's in more
regular rows, so it's different from irregular palm woods).I've tagged it by
this way (there is still more to do in the
area):http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id&#map=18/8.83778/-12.04529- -
-It's manioc/cassava land for sure:
-The more green rounded shapes show some shadow (to the same side of palms, so
they are not remain holes in the ground), it should be plants in growing or
adults.-The brown/dark rounded shapes should be only with soil or rotten
remains of the plants (since only the roots are taken and the remains left in
the same place; stem and leaves are toxic, some varieties very toxic).They may
use it one year planted in one side, the other year change to the other side to
avoid soil be exhausted.
But take a look at this for
example:http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id&#map=19/8.83944/-12.05939
You can see 3 green areas of manioc with three little different shapes (in
Brazil, time between planting and picking manioc roots usually takes 1 to 1.5
year, but may take 6 months to 3 years):1) above, one rounded with small
shadows, max.1m indicating new individuals in growth;2) below, one rounded with
a little bigger shadows, a little more spaced (some individuals may have been
already taken), around 1.5m indicating grown individuals;3) in the middle, the
other rounded, very shallow, with almost no shadow, probably recent remains or
new grass, indicating probably seasonal renewal of soil.The growing plants are
distant from the adults to make it easier to manage both.
And palms there are 3 to 4 times larger, top with 5 to 8m diameter, long
shadows.
Nigth time here. Not extending discussion for too long, but for me it's also
one more example of manioc/cassava land.Better if someone else could
confirm.It's the 2nd major production and 1st in tons, it's
everywhere:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Sierra_Leone
Rice is the 1st, but I don't know how to find it (perhaps only by color), so it
may be in wetlands but not visible.
Here in Brazil both are widespread too.
Regards,Sergio