Roland Weber wrote:
Hi Oleg,

Hi Roland,
I think it would be prudent on our part to differentiate unsupported
charsets from illegal ones and treat them differently. So, I just
tweaked the test case to use a legal charset name, instead of making
EncodingUtils catch all runtime exceptions.

Generally I think this is a very bad practice to catch runtime
exceptions indiscriminately, because you may well end up catching NPE
and OutOfMemory exceptions as well, which to me should clearly be fatal
and should result in the termination of the process (thread)

Generally, I agree with you. But in this particular case, the catch is
used to fall back to a default charset if the one from the entity can
not be used. It's a "best effort" to convert bytes to a string, using or
not using a charset most likely received from a server. I don't think
that users will appreciate different behavior, depending on whether the
useless charset from the server is considered "unknown" or "illegal" by
the JVM on which the code is running.

OutOfMemory is an Error, not an Exception. No problem with that :-)

Fair enough. Still, munching all runtime exceptions is not a good thing

Oleg

cheers,
  Roland